Informed Collector Recommends:
Oil 24 inches x 24 inches
Intersecting by Charles Iarrobino was awarded 3rd Place in the June 2019 BoldBrush Painting Competition.
Born in Annapolis, Maryland in 1952, Charles studied painting and printmaking at Virginia Commonwealth University and Syracuse University, graduating with a BFA in Painting and Printmaking in 1974. A signature member of Oil Painters of America and the American Impressionist Society, he has had numerous one-man shows on the East Coast as well as in his adopted state of New Mexico.
A lifelong fascination with color expressed itself initially in abstract painting, but since moving to northern New Mexico in 1981 the brilliant high desert light dictated a change in the direction of his painting. Years of attempting to capture aspects of that light resulted in an artistic output dominated by landscapes, street scenes and gardens. In the past two decades numerous visits to France and his ancestral home, Italy, have opened the door to a growing range of subject matter, from the small harbors of the south of France to the calli and canali of Venice. Numerous paintings of cafes and open-air markets are evidence of a growing fascination with human interaction, personal space and body language as well as a continuing appreciation of interior space and exterior architecture.
Living in New Mexico has provided something of a “continuing education experience” owing to the lessons taught daily not only by the radiant light but through the cross-pollinating conversations regarding technique and aesthetics that are inevitable in an area teeming with painters. Influenced early on by the Impressionists, Iarrobino was later to find inspiration (as have so many others) in the masterworks of John Singer Sargent, Joaquin Sorolla and Anders Zorn. He owes an additional debt of gratitude to 20th century masters Henri Matisse and Richard Diebenkorn as well as contemporary luminaries such as Quang Ho, Dan McCaw, Jon Redmond, Terry Miura and Ben Aronson - and others too numerous to list.
“The painterly approach I embrace presents recognizable images in which the paint is celebrated and brushstrokes are not only visible, but are intrinsic to the success of the image. The completed painting, while quite possibly analogous to nature, needs to be inherently faithful to itself.”
Current and Upcoming Shows
- American Impressionist Society 2oth Annual National Juried Exhibition. September 19 - October 2, 2019 Salmagundi Club, New York, NY
- Public Faces, Private Spaces solo show, Sage Creek Gallery, Santa Fe, NM. May 10 - June 7, 2019
- 2019 Oil Painters of America 28th annual National Juried Exhibition, Illume Gallery of Fine Art, Saint George, UT
- The Collectors' Show Invitational Exhibition and Sale, Botanic Research Institute of Texas, March 2019, Fort Worth, TX
- Wandering In Wonder solo show, Sage Creek Gallery, Santa Fe, NM. July 6 - August 3, 2018
- People Watching, solo show, Brazier Gallery, Richmond, VA. January - February 2018
- Caught In Time solo show, Sage Creek Gallery, Santa Fe, NM. July 23 - August 3, 2017
- 2017 Oil Painters of America 28th annual National Juried Exhibition, Eisele Gallery of Fine Art, Cincinnati, OH
- Oil Painters of America 2016 Western Regional Exhibition, at The Marshall Gallery of Fine Art, Scottsdale, AZ
- Oil Painters of America 2016 Juried Salon Show at Castle Gallery Fine Art, Fort Wayne, IN. Sept. 30 - Oct.29, 2016.
- The Laumeister Fine Art Competition 2016, The Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, VT. August 6 – September 11, 2016
- 2015 OPA Western Exhibition at Wild Horse Gallery, Steamboat Springs, CO.
- 2015 Oil Painters of America Juried Salon Show , Beverly McNeil Gallery, Birmingham, AL.
- 2014 OPA 23rd National Juried Exhibition at The Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, VT.
- 2014 American Impressionist Society National Annual Juried Exhibition. Abend Gallery, Denver, CO.
- Third Place, June 2019 2016 BoldBrush Painting competition.
- Third Place, American Impressionist Society 2017, "Impressions Small Works Showcase"
- Bronze Medal Award, Oil Painters of America 2016 Western Regional Juried Exhibition
- First Place, Oil Painters of America Spring 2016 Online Showcase
- Finalist - March 2016 BoldBrush Painting competition.
- First Place Associate Member, Oil Painters of America Fall 2014 Online Showcase
- Second Place - Boldbrush Painting Competition. April 2014
- FASO Award Of Distinction, 2013 American Impressionist Society Annual Juried Exhibition.
- Gold Medal Award, 2013 Oil Painters Of America Western Regional Juried Exhibition.
- Southwest Art Magazine Award Of Excellence, 2012 American Impressionist Society Annual Juried Exhibition.
- Oil Painters of America, Signature Member
- American Impressionist Society, Signature Member