Informed Collector Recommends:
Charcoal 14 x 11
Yvette by Isolde Sarnecki was selected as a Finalist in the April 2019 BoldBrush Painting Competition.
Isolde Sarnecki, originally from the Netherlands, currently lives in Raleigh, NC. She received a BFA from Eastern Michigan University in Graphic Arts and spent 20 years of her career teaching art in Novi, Michigan.
With a background in graphic design, a pursuit of quilt making, which deals so wonderfully with flat two-dimensional surfaces, seemed natural. Her quilts have been displayed, throughout the U.S., as well as with the Museum of American Folk Art, and displayed in both Japan and the Netherlands. Her award winning works have been published in books and magazines by Robert Bishop, Family Circle Magazine, Country Living Magazine, and the American Quilter’s Society.
The story always stood central to her art. But in order to explore and capture light and reveal the expression in the faces of her subjects, Isolde realized that she had to turn to painting. Though Isolde is mostly a self-taught painter, she learned from reading and studying the masters.
She has also taken workshops with Mary Whyte, David Dunlop, Joshua LaRock and Kim English. Recent works have been exhibited with the American Watercolor Society, Watercolor Society of North Carolina and the Michigan Watercolor Society. Her work has been published on such websites as art-competition.net and Artsy Shark and the Portrait Society of America. Her oil paintings and watercolors are currently finding homes in many private collections.
- Yvette, Finalist, Bold Brush Painting Competition, April 2018
- Beach Hat, Fifth Place, non-commissioned portrait, Portrait Society, December 2018
- Beach Hat, Honorable Mention, The Gateway International Painting Competition, September 2018
- Sunset on 42nd Street, Jack Newton Award, Watercolor Society of North Carolina, October 2017
- Welcome at Termini, Travel Award, Michigan Watercolor Society, April 2016
- Welcome at Termini, Honorable Mention, Art Competitions.net, Cultural Diversity, March 2016
- The following paintings were selected as part of the FAV15% (Jury's favorite 15%) in the Bold Brush Painting Competition. Duomo, March 2018. Bass Player, March 2018. 482, January 2019. A Grand Day Out, December 2018. Welcome at Termini, September 2018
- Visual Art Exchange, Raleigh, Scope, February 2019- August 2019
- Litmus Gallery and Studios, Raleigh, Exposed; Nudes in Art, April 2019 - July 2019
- American Portrait Society, Members Competition, December 2018
- Watercolor Society of North Carolina, October 2017
- American Watercolor Association, April 2017
- Michigan Watercolor Society, April 2016